All bolt actions are, to a certain extent, cock on open and cock on close, by design. This includes Mausers, Springfields, Enfields, Winchesters, Howas, Rugers, etc. However, all of them also "hand off" the striker to the sear AFTER the extraction cam surface contacts the receiver. Second stage of the cocking operation occurs as the handle is turned down and the bolt is cammed forward.
I checked all of the 700's and 40x's in my shop (nine of them) along with a clone, and all but one accomplished the "hand-off as the handle was lowered; not as the bolt was pushed forward. The one which handed off as the bolt was pushed forward is a new, stainless action. Of the others, one doesn't really count because it has a home made bolt in it, the handle is integral, and I made it to maximise primary extraction. So I have one which hands off as the bolt is pushed forward and seven which hand off as the handle is turned down. One in which the sear picks up the striker before the extraction cam surface touches and seven which touch at the cam first. My question then becomes, which is as it should be? I should add that the single example also has very little primary extraction; this occurring only during the last five degrees of bolt rotation. It sure seems like this is related to the location and timing of the handle. It also seems like on this particular specimen, trigger function is somewhat affected since it has to be set up with considerably more sear engagement or the striker will follow down if the bolt is operated briskly. Is this just coincidental?
I have seen numerous Remingtons where the striker was altered to effect hand off as the handle was lowered rather than when the bolt was pushed forward but I always felt this was approaching the problem from the wrong direction.
Though I am, truly, an old dog, I am always eager to learn new tricks and look upon this as an opportunity to try and do so. GD