You are missing the point entirely Dan. I know a portion of the cocking is done on bolt closure. This is the case on every bolt action of which I'm aware. The question I am asking, the question which, so far, you have declined to answer is this: Is it proper for the extraction cam to withdraw the bolt sufficiently to permit the sear to reset? Also, when the bolt is pushed forward, is it proper for the extraction camming surface to contact before the cocking piece contacts the sear? Alternatively, should the cocking piece contact the sear first? The Model 70 Winchester uses an angled sear surface and yet it is considered proper that the extraction cam contact first when the bolt is pushed forward. Canjar admonished gunsmiths to ensure this was the case when fitting his triggers to the Model 70. Otherwise, he said, trigger function would be compromised. He said the same thing about 700's. Apparently, he didn't know that what happened at the extraction cam had no effect on the trigger at all.
As I said, I am fully aware that a portion of the cocking sequence takes place on bolt closure. My contention is that, when things are as they should be, this portion of the operation takes place when the bolt is turned down; as is the case on a Mauser, Winchester, Springfield etc. I contend that this final cocking of the rifle should only take place when pushing the bolt forward in those designs which are designed to be cock on closing like Enfields, Lee Enfields, '91,'93,'96 mausers etc. If Remingtons are supposed to be a cock-on-closing action, I had better get to work and fix those that I have which are not. I can't grind the extraction cam back since that won't affect cocking anyway and I would hate to lose my primary extraction. Maybe I could recut the cocking cam so it would not cam the cocking piece back so far; more like the Enfield. Then I can have a real cock-on-closing Remington. I won't have to worry about the sear engagement being insufficient to handle the shock of the bolt being slammed home because that is, apparently, not a thing. GD