Originally Posted by John_Havard
I've always liked the 45 Colt cartridge because it's so flexible - load it down or load it heavy. Lately I've been hankering for a SA version (for lighter-duty rounds - not the heavy stuff) and have been considering (primarily but not exclusively) either a Colt SAA or a Freedom Arms 97. I like barrels in the 4 - 5" range just because. I've never owned either a SAA or a model 97 (have owned several 83's). Between these two what are the considerations and factors in favor of each? Are there other SA 45's I should consider?

Thanks in advance for any input.

This is an apples and oranges type question. The Freedom Arms is a more quality gun than the Colt with features that will make it much more shootable. The only thing I can think of that the Colt would have over the FA is nostalgia. There is nothing wrong with that because people buying a Colt SAA are doing so to experience the feel of the frontier and the FA will never come close in that department.

IMO where the Bisley grip frame shines is in the handling of heavy recoil. This should not be the case with the loads you describe. IIRC the Lipsey's edition is based on the New Vaquero, a gun which is not capable of handling heavy 45 Colt loads, so the Bisley grip is for those who just prefer it or like the looks. The Bisley Blackhawk is a whole different ballgame, capable of handling the heaviest 45 loads.

So get the Colt if you want a Cowboy gun or the Freedom Arms if you want the ultimate in shootability.