Originally Posted by John_Havard
How does the flattop grip compare with the Bisley grip offered by Ruger? I see a Bisley 45 with case colored frame from Lipsey's (which I really like) with the only downside being that it's barrel is 5.5" instead of around 4.5". I could live with the longer barrel depending on the grip. I had a Bisley 480 from Ruger and did not like the combination of the round and the grip. Perhaps in a lesser/lighter round the Bisley would be good? My middle finger got pulverized shooting the 480 Bisley to the point it was downright unpleasant.

John, if you carefully analyze the 4 different grip styles I posted, you may see that the SBH may have more middle finger/knuckle clearance than the others.

And, it depends on how you grip the gun. Some wrap their hands around the grip, such that the middle knuckle isn't directly behind the trigger guard. I tend to grip such that my knuckle is just about in line with the back of the trigger guard.

Now, I don't have (or want) a .454, 480, etc., just shoot full house .45 Colt loads. I don't get my knuckle busted with the SBH shooting max loads.

In the .357 FA, I'm shooting full house 170 gr. Gold Dots. I needed a taller front sight with the heavy bullets, FA knew exactly which one. The retrofit was easy with an Allen wrench. That load is equal in power to a 10mm and I prefer it to my 10mm Glock. No knuckle busting.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 11/12/18.