Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I just got through reading your other thread & see you're trying to dupe a factory contour. That adds another dimension because not all makers can do that. Some have old school lathes so they stick to their standard contours, others have CNC lathes with the factory specs programmed in so they just hit a button and it spits out a winchester profile barrel. Then you add in the ones with the silly rules about small contour stainless and it gets hard to find one. I'll throw out that while I generally tend towards cut barrels the most accurate rifles I've owned have had buttoned barrels and there are more button makers that'll dupe factory contours. If it came down to choosing between stainless/chrome moly and cut/buttoned rifling I'd pick the stainless buttoned barrel every time, I don't want a chrome moly barrel on anything.

I also see you're building on a M70. You mentioned you're in or near Wisconsin so I'd call Randy Gregory at Accuracy Unlimited in Medford WI. He's a M70 guru and can steer you the right direction. I'd personally rather have a gunsmith fit the barrel than the barrel maker, especially one that knows M70's like Randy. With the barrel maker you don't really know who's doing the gunsmithing, he might or might not be good with the action you're barreling.

Crow Hunter, I see Accuracy International makes their own cut rifle barrels, or at least they give the impression they make their own.

Have you ever used one? Thoughts?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery