Chrisf, what type barrels have produced the winners the last say 3 years at Perry? I know Frank is pretty good, but I know others in his class that disagree.

Winning at Perry is not the question on the table...and not the same as length of accurate life.

...however, to answer your question; the winning barrel at Perry for the last 10 years have been whatever the AMU is shooting. ...and by all accounts that would include both cut and buttoned rifling. When the Marines were fielding a competitive team that would exchange wins with the Army, they were shooting Kriegers.

Earlier you had asked if there were any studies or authoritative words on the statement on the longevity of Cut vs Buttoned. Sadly, I think we'd in the sporting world would be hard pressed to find someone that did the work that you're asking for. If you think about it, the arsenals are probably the only entities with the motivation and resources to do this kind of work. Cut and button rifling are in the domain of small, boutique production in that sense. If the work was done, it was probably comparing broach, hammer forging and other high production volume barrel manufacturing.

Last edited by ChrisF; 11/22/18.