JGRaider: I am rather happy with my Leica LRF 900 - and I live and Hunt both Big Game, predators and Varmints year round (day and night!)!
I am not sure but am willing to bet it gets WAY colder where I often Hunt (7,000'+ elevations in SW Montana) than there in West Texas Mule Deer country.
Maybe this is your problem (which I had many years and many rangefinders ago!) - you are not holding your laser rangefinders STEADY enough?
Once I started resting/steadying my laser rangefinders COMPLETELY, I started getting lasered readings at the needed longer ranges.
I either clamp my Leica 900's with my hands to a tree or use my Hunting pack as a "tripod" etc then I get range readings I am confident in.
My "needs" for ranging anything in the way of Big Game ends just under 600 yards - I won't shoot any further than that. If I get ranges past 600 yards I get closer!
Good luck in what ever you try next - I recommend steadying the LRF to close to absolute stillness and that should help extend your laser distances.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy