JG I am not sure why you are having issues. I haven't done this in a few years but when I used to get cabin fever and get bored I used to pop over to nevada and shoot coyotes at long range from fields. Conditions were snow covered, and temps as low as -10 degrees. Although my personal threshold is about 0 these days. any below that and ummm I am staying in the truck wink RF units were leica geovds, second generation and second generation HD. IE not the huge brick ones but not the split hinge either. Those would range reliably on a coyote/deer etc to about 800 yards, being extra careful and with extra time,Sometimes further if the conditions were just right. The other unit I have used and currently use is the EL range 10x42. These will range 1200+ reliable and I have even ranged to 1900+ when the conditions are just right. when its snowing or sometimes if the sun is at the wrong angle I can have trouble. Certainly not in cloudy conditions. those should be your better conditions.

currently my EL range's are at swaro getting the RF unit fixed. not sure whats wrong I personally think the range button is F'd, I notice the newer ones have a different style range button. Mine are well out of warranty so hopefully the repair doesn't cost too much. Still annoying that my RF unit went down during hunting season.

I can't say this enough, I don't see how anyone hunts with a separate RF unit. both my friends and I have shot animals, even the best animals we have ever gotten because we were using RF binoculars. its simply way way faster. I would never ever ever go back to seperate.