Originally Posted by prm
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Thanks for the feedback and experiences guys. I'm pretty sure it's not the temperature, as it was 35-40* actually, but the wind bit hard, and I had the unit in my coat pocket. I feel that it was the unit's inability to read targets in poor, dull light. It wouldn't read yellow grass sandhills, mesquites, deer, nada, nothing past about 300, but most of the time all I got was - - - -, no reading at all whether the unit was perched on my sticks, the truck, fence post, or whatever. I also know the laser receiver window wasn't blocked as I've done that before too. I'd rather not spend much more than $1k if I don't have to, therefore no newer Geovids, Vectronix, etc.

The laser doesn’t care if it’s light out. Only whether the target will reflect the laser energy, or if the atmosphere disperses the laser energy.

Are you using the same brand of battery for all these range finders having issues. Not all batteries are alike.

I'm no expert with LRFs, but this makes the most sense. The LRF is an active device, like RADAR. It does not care about ambient light.

I'd be investigating batteries. Someone mentioned Lithium-Ion batteries. If you're not using them you should try them. It DOES matter.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.