Originally Posted by Triggernosis
They're so computerized you can't do sheet to fix them yourself and all the mechanics at the dealership know to do is hook them up to a computer and start switching parts until they get it to work.
I had my Chevy truck in the shop for almost 2 weeks until they figured out a low oil pressure warning issue. Now I have Toyota Corolla (of all cars!) in the shop with an issue that the mechanic is in the process of sending the computer info. to Toyota headquarters to see if they can figure it out.
New car technology is nice and all, but dang it's a pain in the a$$!

I'm about THIIIIS close to saying to hell with it and finding me a pre-1974 gas-guzzling, carbureted, pre-emissions controls vehicle like a Chevelle or Monte Carlo - something I can work on and is simple to fix!

I hear ya, and all of that is true, but your pre-1974 stuff will end up with a shorter lifespan and with way more downtime than a newer vehicle. (Of course, it will cost a heck of lot more, too.) Trucks (mine are Chevy's too) that used to be shot at 100,000 miles are just getting broke in good now. I have one that's got 246,000 + and it's given me very little trouble, just minor stuff like, most recently, the blower motor. I haven't laid a hand to it, take it all to the local independent garage, been going there for 35 years and they take care of my stuff quick. There is a lot of stuff about the old days I'd like to see back the way it was, but vehicles ain't one of them.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.