Originally Posted by High_Noon
Modern vehicles are essentially the same as older vehicles. Yes, we have seen advancements like EFI, DOHC, Direct Injection, traction control, anti-lock brakes, electronic ignitions, etc. But, as I see it, the problems we encounter with new vehicles can directly be attributed to government interference. EPA regulations have nearly ruined the automotive industry. EPA mileage standards have resulted in much lighter vehicles (which are not nearly as crash-worthy as they once were) as manufacturers try to meet ever increasing, ridiculous standards. My 1963 Studebaker was in a bad hail storm once, and suffered no damage at all due to its heavy steel panels, while many modern cars in the same hail storm were totaled. Additionally, and as many have lamented here and elsewhere, the EPA pollution standards have resulted in extremely expensive emission control equipment that is simply not reliable, stifles performance and requires idiotic, expensive additives that have very little shelf-life. Don’t even get me started on ethanol. Fortunately, modern diesel emission equipment can be fully deleted (EGR, DEF, DPF) in some states, and doing so will not only eliminate these emissions-related issues, but will increase both mileage and performance.

Modern electronics/ECMs also cause a lot of problems. Chasing down a check-engine light or some other electrical gremlin can be maddening and incredibly expensive. The very term “modern electronics” is an oxymoron. For being “modern” they sure do suck and they cause an inordinate number of problems, which may or may not outweigh the supposed benefits they provide, depending on your point-of-view.

Bingo! As the OP, that's pretty much what I was trying to infer.