Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by HTDUCK
I've made my living as an auto technician since 1984.
Yes cars are more complex and more computer controlled than when I started.
And no a scanner doesn't tell you what parts to replace, all it does is points you toward whatever system or subsystem is malfunctioning, i.e. fuel/ air ratio, ignition, emissions etc.
And now we are dealing w camera systems and radar systems that are tied to the brakes, airbags etc.
I spend more time digging through technical bulletins and wiring diagrams than I do working on cars.
Most of the BS is there to start with due to mandates from the government.

Quite honestly I personally will never buy a car that has all this crap on it.
My daily driver is a 98 BMW M3 that has 215k on it and my 2001 F250 has a 7.3 in it.
It's got 195k on it.
They'll keep getting repaired by me as long as I'm physically capable of it, then I'll pay someone to do it for me.

Id be interested in hearing your take on my post above. Many dont know there is a small filter ahead of that oil pressurd sensor, from what i hear.

It was a stupid idea, supposed to keep sludge out of the sending unit.
However, if you change the oil on a regular basis, there shouldn't be any sludge in there to start with.
Synthetic oils are better at suspending th trash you need to get out of an engine when changing the oil.
And these 10k mile oil change intervals ?
BS.
Change it every 7500 miles.
Oil is cheap compared to the cost of a new engine.

My ace running buddy drives a GMC and I just had to replace the sending unit on his truck.
Pulled the filter out and threw it in the trash when I pulled the switch.

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA