I'm fairly new to the dot as well and don't have any advice to offer but I have 2 so far.

I've been shooting Steel Challenge with a JPoint for almost 2 years now, first on a Buckmark that I had trouble finding the dot, then on my current Ruger MK4 22/45 lite. Last Saturday I caught myself shooting targets as the dot passed the plate instead of getting a good sight picture but the hits were there. I have been trying to get faster and things lined up last weekend.

So much so that I decided to shoot my CORE with its RMR on it in our IPSC match today. I shot it Christmas eve and noticed my trigger control needs to be better, hits just outside of the A zone when trying to transition quickly to the next target. A big difference than just hitting a plate. Easy to go faster than I can shoot so I still have a lot of work to do but I can see more dots in my future. Making hits at 50 yards is simple compared to irons, keeping both eyes open and seeing the whole spread in front of me is a bonus too. Although I find myself lazy when going back to irons and have to really concentrate. There's just no comparison. I have a spare 2.0 Compact now and I can see me sending it off to be cut one day too.