I've got mostly Kahles CL 3-9x42 scopes on my hunting rifles. I bought them when CDNN was selling them for cheap 12 years ago. I've also got a Zeiss Conquest VA 4-16x44. These are all very good scopes which have performed very well. I've also got various Leupolds and Burris', which mostly function just fine, but no longer meet my needs.

My rifles are Kimber Montana in 25-06; Winchester M70 in 264 WinMag; Montana Rifle Co X3 in 26 Nosler; and Kimber Montana in 300WSM.

I hunt elk and mule deer in the Rocky Mountains, Pronghorns on the open plains, and whitetails in the river bottoms.

Currently, I would never shoot over 400 yards. My longest shot to date was 300 yards on a Pronghorn with my 25-06. I am just starting to "dial", and so would eventually be willing to go to something around 600 yards in ideal conditions.

I like a simple reticle. So far, I am happy with a German 4A. And, for my use, I am preferring a second focal plane reticle. A 4x zoom range is plenty. I don't want an illuminated reticle.

The Kahles, while super good, don't have dialing capability. Thus, if I want to start dialing, the Kahles are a no go. Also, I'd like to get higher power than 9x.

I like the excellent optics and zoom range of the Zeiss 4-16x44, and it is dial-able. But the ocular bell is very large, which means the scope is mounted relatively high so the ocular will clear the ring base. Since I have no choice but to mount the scope high, I might as well get a larger objective, say something the 50mm-ish range. Zeiss doesn't make a V4 4-16 with a 50mm objective.

And, because the Kimber Montanas are slim trim rifles, I'd like the scope for those guns to be 1" tubes. A 30mm tube on the bigger M70 and X3 looks good.

I'd like to keep the price under $1000.

Tactical scopes are cool technology, but I am a hunter and so want a hunting-oriented scope. In other words, I want something that is relatively simple and straight forward, and don't want heavy and bulky.

I know the above are a lot of details. I know I may have to compromise on some of them. And, perhaps there is some room for "personal growth" on some of the parameters. But, what is close to what I've described, above?

TIA

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]