Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

9 years ago I got into llama packing because I'm getting too old to pack elk quarters on my back. They haven't quit eating since I got them. There's no end to the cost of that 'free' entertainment.

Boy that is for sure and mules eat a lot more than llamas. Then you figure tack, trailer truck to pull it with. However, if I didn't have them, I would have a tough time elk hunting

My sons, DIL, best buddy, and myself, have taken 5 elk, all cows, in the past few years, off of a RFW property here in CO. All have been 'meat hunts', and all have been enjoyable outings with friend and family. Cost of these hunts have been just the resident tag, maybe a motel for a night or two, occasional ammo or gear, and gas to and from. Hunt area is only about 80 miles from where any of us live.
I will apply again this season, for the same tag, as I have enough pref points built up to again draw. One, or both, of my sons will join me on the hunt, to help with getting the elk loaded up once, or if, I pull the trigger.
I look forward to this hunt as much as any guided hunt for a big bull I have ever been on.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....