I often get asked the question "Why I hunt (insert species or location here." My first thought is, "Why wouldn't you hunt elk, anytime you have a chance?"

After stowing away my first comment, I usually answer something similar to.......Because every morning when I wake up I am one day closer to the end of my hunting days. I would rather go hunting now, and worry about the consequences of my indulgence later. Too many hunters end up with "viewers remorse" for having stayed home Sep-Nov watching football when elk seasons were open.

I know a lot of folks older than me who wished they had hunted more. They saved a piss pot full of money that could have been spent on elk or other hunting, yet they are miserable cusses. They fake golf and travel as equal substitutes, yet the look in their eyes tells me they are faking it; the have regrets to not having hunted more.

I'll probably die destitute, selling my last possessions to fund my last elk hunt. But, I will not be found alive wishing I had hunted when the health and opportunity was present.

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."