Originally Posted by TimberRunner
I go elk hunting one week every year and its the best week of the year.

The country, the disconnection from the e-devices and the pain and misery that comes with it are also what I seek.

The meat ain't anything shabby either!

Why hunt elk? I blame it on Granddad and his stack of Outdoor Life, Sports Afield and Field and Stream magazines. As a kid growing up in the cornfields of Iowa in the '50's and '60's, seeing deer was a rare thing, Use to spend hours looking through Granddad's magazines, dreaming about elk and deer hunting. When I got offered a job in Colorado back in November of 1980, I jumped at it. Went on my first elk hunt in 1982 and have only missed one year since.

For me hunting is about much more than trying to find and kill animals. Hunting is a chance to spend time with good friends and family members away from the daily grind. Just as I enjoyed learning to shoot and hunt small game with Granddad, I've enjoyed teaching my daughters and helping SILs and hope to have enough time left on this rock to help teach my grandkids. The oldest will turn 5 this summer.

While we enjoy all kinds of hunting, Daughter #1 compared antelope hunting to a college-level Hunt 101 class while comparing elk hunting to a Masters degree.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.