If you're using open sights, you might look at starting with the Ruger 10/22 in style 21125. It comes with the best factory installed open sights of any Ruger 10/22 and it has the modular style stock that allows you to pick from four different length and height modules. I like these stock with the long/high module for shooting scopes, as the comb height on most 10/22 stocks is too low for me to get proper eye alignment.

CDNN has them on sale for $270. www.cdnnsports.com

If you're serious about squeezing the most accuracy from a 10/22 without any after-market parts, send the barreled action to CPC for a full tune up, around $210, including return shipping and insurance. www.ct-precision.com

My current favorite 10/22 has a donor action with a 24" Green Mountain fluted stainless sporter barrel and a modular style stock. I sent the barreled action to CPC for a full tune up. The nice thing about the 10/22 is that it is easy to replace parts, but unless you know what you're doing, you're unlikely to squeeze the most potential accuracy out of the untuned combination of parts. CPC takes a holistic approach, in that the three key parts of the barreled action, barrel/bolt/trigger, fit together and work in harmony.