I've got two 10/22's that I set up for steel challenge for my boys to use. Mine are set up to run red dots, so no open sights. As previously mentioned, Tactical Solutions offers a lightweight bull barrel with open sights mounted on them. I have no personal experience with Tac Sol, so I can't say if they're good or bad, but I've heard good things about them for what that's worth.

I run a Volquartsen carbon fiber on one and a Kidd lightweight on the other. Accuracy is phenomenal and the lighter weight is really nice for SC. I ordered the Volquartsen target hammer and sear kit to upgrade mine. I'm very happy with the results. I also highly recommend the Volquartsen or Kidd firing pin and extractor for the bolt (one rifle is set up with Kidd and the other V). I get a lot more reliable ignitions (fewer duds) and zero extraction issues since switching to that set up. The Kidd bolt handle charging assembly is nice as well. The Kidd bolt buffer is also worth the $5.95 price tag. The auto bolt release is a must as well.

I also like and recommend the Alangator TriMag triple magazine coupler. It connects 3 standard Ruger 10-rd mags together. Since SC is 5 strings at 5 targets, you just rotate the mag for each string. Our local club shoots a SC match once a month and without fail, folks running the Ruger BX 25-rd mags have issues with the bolt not grabbing the next round after ejecting the previous case. It appears that the mag, even while "locked in place" hangs just low enough sometimes that the bolt goes right over the next round without grabbing it. Several folks have tried wedging something in with the mag to make a tighter fit. And, I've seen varying degrees of success with that.
But, I've never had that issue when using the TriMag set up, and others who've switched to that set up haven't either. And, since SC is all about speed, having to fiddle with a mag mid string SUCKS. The extended mag release is a must as well. The Kidd version I have on one is much nicer in terms of fit and finish (following the lines of the trigger guard) than the Tac Sol one I have on the other gun.

After making the mods above, mine have run flawlessly through matches. I know they're other good suggestions and companies out there, but after personal experience, I can highly recommend the above.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan