Far be from me to present as a heretic on this topic, particularly in light of the loony tangents I've pursued in life, but with that said I offer a short description of a similar endeavor done on the cheap with resounding success....in my opinion.

Was back in the last century when a co-worker decided to thin his herd a bit and offered a 10/22 for sale, a DEEEEEElux he said. Took a look and for the most part it seemed a fair deal. Few spots of rust on the barrel, otherwise in good shape. Coughed up the requested $75, bought some ammo and went to the range. Wow, those 2" groups at 50 yds were inspiring. Changed ammo and the group size didn't change significantly, so I took a breather and did a little introspection on the topic. Purchased a glass bedding kit from Brownells and a Power Custom trigger kit. Wow...I had almost as much expense with those two items as the gun. -eek!-

I followed the directions, got the trigger installed and then did a bedding job that was a bit outside the norm I guess. Full length bedding job, barrel and action. If you do this be careful....modeling clay is your friend.

Went to the range and life was looking a bit better. Fiddled with a couple more ammo brands and by chance purchased some WW Power Point which had only recently been released to the market place. It was apparently a match made in heaven.

[Linked Image]

Never was bashful about exploring the outer limits and stepped back to 100 yards.

[Linked Image]

All that with a Weaver K2.5 and I figured I was ready for squill and whatever came my way, and wouldn't you know it, stuff came my way!

[Linked Image]

Couple or three observations in retrospect:

-The P/C trigger has a bit of very smooth and soft creep which I am totally comfortable with. Release in the 2.5# range, or so the scale says.
-I have found that CCI SV LR ammo works OK on pigs and it is prone to sub 1" groups at 50 or less. The performance is mediocre by my standards, but it is also adequate for minute-of-pig brain to that distance. God forbid I should ever need to shoot a pig at that distance, but.......
-Solids work much better than HP ammo on pigs. And squill. Did I mention that it shoots M.O. Dead Squill out to 50 yards as well?
-I've fiddled with a number of Ruger rifles over the years, most from the era when they subcontracted their barrels. Have yet to find one that won't shoot sub-MOA if one it willing to do a little investigation and remedial work. That includes #1s, 77's, and the 10/22 of course.
-I recently discovered that my 10/22 is quite fond of Wolf MT/ME and SK Standard +. It shoots that ammo as well as the Power Point.
-Yes, I still have the iron sights and little rust spots on the barrel. One of these days I'll go beyond the occasional dab of oil on the barrel and clean that up. Or not....

YMMV, have fun.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain