The fun stops when you squeeze the trigger. That's when the hard work starts.

I've never had an exercise regimen specific fro elk hunting, although I used to swim 9000 yards a week. Last year I dropped 25 pounds and the hills were a lot easier. This year I plan to drop another 20-25.

Have killed elk in numbers and places where getting them out nearly killed me. Lesson learned.

I have literally waited hours for a broadside shot but, if things go wrong after my first shot, I want a load capable of penetrating to the vitals from whatever angle is presented. My .243 doesn't go elk hunting even though most if not all the elk I've shot would have fallen to it. While I've hunted elk with a .257 Roberts and .44 Mag, I prefer my rifles in .280 Rem, 7mm RM, .30-06 and .338WM. Going minimalist in cartridge selection limits your options. Small cannons aren't needed, though, as elk fall pretty easily to one through the heart/lung area.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 02/05/19. Reason: deleted repeated word

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.