Originally Posted by BCHunter666
I'm pretty sure after 40 years of elk hunting my time in the field has ended. I only had marginal success in all those years but enough to make a few observations for any newer to the sport

1. Spend 6 months getting in shape before your hunt, seriously.
2. Pick out your preferred rifle, and practice at least 2x per month. Get in prone, sitting, and offhand positions for all of your shooting. For some reason the elk never have cooperated when I take my bench out there.
3. Many thousands of elk have been killed with regular bullets, but elk hunting is expensive so done save $10 . Use a premium bullet. I just don't see any excuse to try and save money with a cheaper bullet when so many good ones are available.

Other than that I'm always baffled on forums why we seem to strive to use the lightest under-powered rifles possible on an expensive hunt. I guess a 22/250 or 250 savage will kill an elk, but really? Just a pet peeve of mine I guess. Anyway, best of luck to you all!

good advice! and Id point out being a masochist who doesn,t mind helping the clueless, helps a good deal!
yeah I'm always amazed at the guys who do not blink at spending $1000 or more on licences,
and an additional $2000-$4000 on the hunt,guys that are unwilling to walk more than 1/8th mile from the truck,
and guys who then bring a rifle of marginal power with what is all too typically a cheap flimsy scope
and guys that may have barely taken the effort to sight in the ammo they intend to use.
Id advise a 270 win or larger caliber, but you darn sure need to shoot what you carry very consistently well.
if you can,t consistently put holes in a coke can at 100 yards at least 70% of the time, shooting from a field position, you need more practice,
being in good physical condition and being persistent , going to the effort to check out that extra ridge or canyon,
and hunting all the available time,dawn to dusk every day,
when things are not ideal is the key to success in many cases.
do your homework, research the area, buy and use topo maps,talk to the area biologist,
hunt in a decent area, if theres few elk your chances are far lower, and for darn sure get out and look over the area,
cruising the back roads in a truck or getting up at 8 am, making breakfast, being back at camp, by 2pm is hurting your odds

Last edited by 340mag; 02/05/19.