Originally Posted by BCHunter666
I'm pretty sure after 40 years of elk hunting my time in the field has ended. I only had marginal success in all those years but enough to make a few observations for any newer to the sport

1. Spend 6 months getting in shape before your hunt, seriously.
2. Pick out your preferred rifle, and practice at least 2x per month. Get in prone, sitting, and offhand positions for all of your shooting. For some reason the elk never have cooperated when I take my bench out there.
3. Many thousands of elk have been killed with regular bullets, but elk hunting is expensive so done save $10 . Use a premium bullet. I just don't see any excuse to try and save money with a cheaper bullet when so many good ones are available.

Other than that I'm always baffled on forums why we seem to strive to use the lightest underpowered rifles possible on an expensive hunt. I guess a 22/250 or 250 savage will kill an elk, but really? Just a pet peeve of mine I guess. Anyway, best of luck to you all!

I get peeves and all, but if you’d have been successful consistently you’d realize what rifle you were carrying didn’t really matter.. funny that what your shooting ends up being 99% of the debate on this site but in the grand scheme of reality it matters the least..ask anyone that kills them every year if they couldn’t get by with just about anything... funny how that works

Last edited by rosco1; 02/05/19.