Originally Posted by FishinHank
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I had ketamine one time during a spinal steroid injection. I didn't like it at all. I had a psychedelic out of body type of experience and felt completely out of control. It scared me worse than almost anything ever has, I thought I had died. I had a few crazy scary dreams in the weeks and months after as well. They wanted to give it too me last year while removing a heel spur and reattaching my Achilles. I said no thanks and I think they used propofol and fentanyl instead.

That was ok, I just slept during the 2 hour surgery. Then they sent me home with 20 pain pills and said don't ask for any more. The first month plus was extremely miserable and it hurt bad for 6 months. I have to have the other leg done soon and I'm thinking about using a different surgeon. The guy who did my first one is fine but didn't take my pain serious at all. Did the surgery in his own surgical center which was just a room at his office. Then sent me home 30 min after I woke up. 2 days later I told him how bad it hurt and he said most people don't complain of pain and that I need to toughen up. 6 months later he told me the procedures he did on me were the most painful ones he does and they always hurt for at least 6 months.

The other surgeon said he would have done a nerve block and kept me 3 days in the hospital to make sure my pain was under control. He could believe I went through the last one with 20 pills. They cut my calf in 3 places and lengthened it. Spasms made you want to die. I would have taken ketamine over those. Having your Achilles cut off and screwed back on during a major psoriatic arthritis flare hurts.

Bb

The nerve block is something else. My entire lower leg is still 99% completely numb. I bet its saving me a lot of pain though. When that starts wearing off they are going to switch to oxycodone.

Sorry to hear this ordeal. Take the oxys to stay ahead of the pain.

Your pain level is "always" 4 or higher when they ask. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender