Originally Posted by Cpl_Austin
So w
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

.300 RUM/225 ELD, 7WSM/180 ELD. I used my actual velocity in the 7WSM with 25" barrel and compared both using pressure-tested data and QL. I gave the RUM every advantage I could- 1000 psi higher peak pressure, an extra inch of barrel, etc. Sucks to burn nearly 40 gr more powder with every shot, and still come in 2nd place grin

laugh

So what does a 180gr bullet and a 225gr bullet have in common ? Are you done trying to answer my question ? Because the answer is NOTHING !!!

You can't come in 1st when you can't even start the race … Now let's try it again … pay attention this time .

Ok, if you want to compare Bullet's and Velocities of a 7 WSM & a 300 RUM this is what you need to do:

…………. 7 WSM …………….300 RUM ………...
………. 175gr ELD-X ……….178gr ELDX ……….
…... 71.0gr - MAGNUM ….. 90.2gr - RL - 26 ......
….........2,900fps .................. 3,250fps .................

I'm at the finish line, waiting, waiting ..... oh, is that you ... almost but several other caliber bullet's got here before you .... too bad.

That's how it's done ... you can't win if you can't even reach the target.

The Thrill of Victory .... The Agony of defeat

We had a wall plaque in our holiday trailer. It read, "Before you shoot your mouth off, make sure your brains are loaded!"

You sir, have failed to abide by that slogan.

Why do you think this thread has gone on as long as it has? It's not because it is insightful, to the contrary, every time you post, you demonstrate what you don't understand.

Most of the posters are egging you on, but you don't understand that.

I'm glad you like your 300RUM. But it is an extremely inefficient cartridge. To help you out, an inefficient cartridge is one that burns excessive amounts of powder to gain diminishing ballistic gains. I shoot a 300WSM with a 168gr bullet and Reloder 17. Alliant powder does not list the 168gr bullet or Reloder 17 in the 300RUM, so I'll use Reloder 22 which is listed for both cartridges.

The 300WSM and a 165gr bullet can achieve 3125fps with 73grs of RL22.
The 300RUM and a 165gr bullet can achieve 3268fps with 93grs of RL22.

I will admit RL22 is not slow enough to maximize the cavernous capacity of the RUM, but it is a straight comparison that demonstrates that the RUM requires 20grs more powder to achieve 143fps more velocity with the same bullet. Is the animal any more dead or the rock any more split with 143fps more velocity? Nope. But your barrel will burn out faster than my WSM and I can load 6 WSM rounds for every 5 RUM you load. The RUM is even economically inefficient.

Back in the days before good laser rangefinders or ballistic reticles or tactical turrets, some people felt that shaving even an inch off the trajectory could make a difference between one more xring, or a dead deer. I still practice maximum point blank range. I know my loads, so I sight in so that I am pretty much dead on at 300yds and my bullet is never more than about 4" high. My MPBR is about 330yds or wherever the bullet dips below 4" below line of sight. If you use this correctly, if I hold dead on the center (height) of a deer's chest, I will not miss that deer and will kill it anywhere from the muzzle to 330yds. Even at 400yds, I am 11" low, 26" low at 500. MPBR has worked for me for 35 years. To sight in differently screws my brain up.

Now days, a shooter or Hunter, with a rangefinder and a scope with a ballistic reticle or turrets can do anything a RUM was designed to do with a 308Win or a 6.5 Creedmoor. Less powder, less recoil.

Enjoy your RUM, but if you want posters to stop laughing at you, stop posting on this thread. To keep posting you are confirming the old adage: "If you think people think you are an idiot, open your mouth and confirm it."