Originally Posted by Cpl_Austin

So what does a 180gr bullet and a 225gr bullet have in common ? Are you done trying to answer my question ? Because the answer is NOTHING !!!

You can't come in 1st when you can't even start the race … Now let's try it again … pay attention this time .

Ok, if you want to compare Bullet's and Velocities of a 7 WSM & a 300 RUM this is what you need to do:

…………. 7 WSM …………….300 RUM ………...
………. 175gr ELD-X ……….178gr ELDX ……….
…... 71.0gr - MAGNUM ….. 90.2gr - RL - 26 ......
….........2,900fps .................. 3,250fps .................

I'm at the finish line, waiting, waiting ..... oh, is that you ... almost but several other caliber bullet's got here before you .... too bad.

That's how it's done ... you can't win if you can't even reach the target.

The Thrill of Victory .... The Agony of defeat

So let's assume that your comparison above is the correct comparison to make, which it is not. Your bullet gets to the target with less drop. The 7WSM gets there with less wind drift. If you've done any amount of long range shooting, you would understand that wind is the hard part. Elevation (drop) is easy. Congratulations, you've used 30 grains more powder to make it harder to hit the target.

Now, if you insist on using the 178 in the 300 RUM, which I wouldn't, a better comparison would be to the 150 ELDX in the 7WSM. The WSM is both flatter and drifts less. Comparing bullets of the same weight across calibers is a fail.