Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by Tyrone
One sign of excess pressure is loose primer pockets.

If you're loosening primer pockets on the first shot, it's definitely excess pressure and time to back off. In ARs usually I see ejector hole marks (not just swipes, but actual raised circles on the case head) but not always.Those marks can be a sign of over pressure, but the absence of them doesn't mean you're OK.

If a case is reloadable 6-8 times with tight primer pockets, pressure isn't close to max. I consider max where a case is reloadable 3-4 times (assuming no other pressure signs either)

I generally agree with all of that, with 5 loadings as my nominal target.

What I meant by my earlier comment about 5.56 pressure, is that I don't think I've ever seen a direct translation of the NATO standard to PSI...............I've generally understood it was some around 62K, but never really seen in spelled out. Obviouly it must be around 62-63K as that's where Western maxes their specified 5.56 loads for their various powders.

But at any rate, 2750 from a 16" barrel is not leaving much on the table, & IMO, & has got to be at, or very near, max 5.56 pressure level, especially when BH MK 262 is running below 2700 from a 16" barrel...............with a given bullet & barrel, velocity only comes from pressure, given that different powders may have slightly different pressure curves.

Originally Posted by Tyrone
What do you want to do, David?

If I was plinking I'd get the cheapest ball powder I could find, like WC844 or 846.

If I wanted to shoot precision type matches, I'd load up on a temp-resistant stick powder like Varget, AR-Comp, 8208, H4895, N140 or even a better ball powder like TAC. You won't know which one is best for your gun until you try it.

I generally agree with that direction too.

MM