Originally Posted by CRS
Looking to get another 1911 style 9mm pistol.

I already have a Sig 938 Ultra compact for cc and would like a bigger pistol to go with it.

Trying to decide if I should go full size 5 inch barrel or the 4 inch commander size. This gun will spend a lot of time in the truck and on the hiking trail. Whichever one I choose, plan is to take some kind of pistol course with it.

Any and all comments appreciated.

My two cents:

Get the gun that tickles your fancy. The real-world differences between a 4", 4.25" and 5" 9mm 1911 are: up to 1" of barrel/slide length and about 3 oz of weight on steel frame guns. With the 4" gun you'll also lose the estimated 35 fps of muzzle velocity. None of that is going to affect what you do.

In 1911's, I have a 5" 9mm, a 5" 45 ACP, a 4" 45 ACP, and a 3" 45 ACP. My shooting pard has a 5" 9mm, and a 4.25" 9mm. I have shot them all quite a bit. The "portability" and weight savings of the 4" and 4.25" guns is pretty much unnoticeable--Any place you're willing to take a commander size gun, you'd have no issue taking a full size gun. The longer sight radius of 5" guns helps me when shooting iron sights. I also like green Crimson Trace laser grips. (Red lasers, while cheaper, are often useless in normal daylight conditions. They are fine inside, however.)

So I'll conclude as I began: Get whatever tickles your fancy.

(P.S. As for 9mm 1911 magazines, my Tripp Research have been flawless, and they come with a base pad. Kimber mags have also functioned 100%. I have two MecGar mags and sent one back, because it don't lock the slide after the last round. MecGar gave me no grief--they paid shipping both ways and swapped out the mag without a fuss. Since then, both MecGars have also run 100%)

Good luck in your decision!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.