Originally Posted by gophergunner
Fubarguy-thanks so much for your input. It's an aluminum. I really don't was a 'glass boat. Fished out of tons of 'em when I fished the bass tournaments. The ride is nice, but I'm pretty much an aluminum guy. I do a lot of shallow fishing and flipping around docks and rock piles, and the aluminum holds up to that punishment pretty good.

I like your idea, but time and finances dictate a cheaper, quicker repair. I'm pretty sure i can correct this issue without tearing out the floor. It's really in there tight-it will be a major undertaking to remove it.

Aluminum, all right! thats a good one.
Now, back to the deck.
Since you are going to take the old carpet off anyway, you may find that the deck is secured to the boat at two places on each side of the bow. It will probably bolted to plates that extend from the bow just an inch or two. Thats how it was on my boat. If so, removing the deck will be easy. Using the old deck as a template, get a piece of exterior plywood about the same size and cut it with the jigsaw set at a 45 degree angle to compensate for the curvature of the boat. Drill holes for the blind nuts corresponding to the holes on the mounting plate of the pedastile. Attach the pedastile out of the boat to check the fit, then take it apart and coat the plywood with multiple coats of Marine Spar Varnish.Use a lot. This is the waterproofing. I got mine at Home Depot for $17 a quart. Take your time between coats and try to use plywood at least 3/4 inch thick.When you are ready, you can glue the template [old piece] to the new one or use stainless screws around the entire perimeter every 6 inches. Put it back in the boat and re-cover with carpeting. Don't glue the carpeting to the wood. Instead use double faced carpet tape in case you need to get it off later. This may sound like a lot of work but take your time and it will be a matter of pride every time you take the boat out. My boat was made in 1960 and the Evinrude in 1955 and its my pride and joy. Yours will be one too.