Originally Posted by MLF
My hunting partner uses the Benelli R1 in .30-06 and loves it. I watched him drop a mulie at 565 yards. They are more accurate than people think. He got on the .338-06 A square band wagon and sent his R1 to JES reboring in Oregon and had it converted to it. He dropped his elk lastyear in Wyoming at 410 yards, no problem. The R1 has the Argo system as their M4’s which have proven themselves in the military, very dependable. They make a 10 round magazine for the .30-06 and it’s derivetives. It would make a viable dangerous grizzly country tool. They also make it in .338 WM.
One point of consideration is, if you use semi autos in hot dry enviroment, the cases come out scorching hot and could start a fire easily.

That is impressive and longer than I am capable of shooting.

Let's say my 30-06 is enough gun but I wanted a new rifle anyway. The 30-06 and one of my 308 Wins are Remington 700s. I like the rifles but they are kind of bland. I am now thinking about getting a Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed or a Benelli R1. If I settled on one, would you go 30-06 or 300 Win Mag? I am not sure if there is enough improvement in performance to justify the added recoil and length in a 300 Win Mag. What do you think?