Like a dope, I decided to upgrade the stock and trigger on my one 308 Win to make it my "elk rifle." I use quotes because I have never gotten the chance to hunt for elk with a rifle yet. Of the rifles that I own, none of them seem to be ideal for elk. For example, 30-06 is a Remington BDL with a wood stock and blued barrel - but I prefer stainless and synthetic these days.

A good friend of mine gave me a Remington 700 SPS Stainless as a gift a couple years ago. I bagged 2 bucks and screwed up a shot on a bear with it. I is a nice rifle but I tend to use my 6.5 Creedmoor or 25-06 or BLR 308 when I hunt the woods around my area. It has a 24" barrel. I ordered a Bell and Carlson stock, a Leupold VX-3i 4-10x40, and a Timney trigger for it. I think I will use it to practice a lot at a 300 target range and see if I can get it to shoot the way I want it to for elk instead of buying a new rifle right now.

You guys were a lot of help. The next time I have $1,500 laying around I am going to buy a Browning BAR MOBU or a X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed (haven't decided - depends on the accuracy of my 308) in 300 WSM. As much as I like the idea of a 300 Win Mag and 7mm Mag, I don't want a 26" barrel. The 300 WSM comes with a 23". If I get the accuracy that I want out of my 308, I'll buy the BAR for fun. If I don't, I'll buy an X-Bolt for elk hunting.