Well, the AR would be well suited to the wet jungle, ha. Nothing wrong with that 338 Federal either. Back in the late 60's early 70s, every Mod 742 user I knew just used the iron sights. The Old Phartz Tales ( they are very similar to Old Wives Tales BTW) there in the Big Thicket of East, Texas big woods, said "you can't use a scope in the woods, son, you can't see him fast enough". So, we all used iron sights. I didn't even own a scope until I was 22 yrs old!

My point is that the Mod 742 with only irons is a very nice handling rifle. Not too heavy, not too long, and by golly, 5 fast shots! I never used more than one round an anything I ever shot with the one I had in 30-06. But I never killed anything over 60yds with it either! Though mine was a "jammomatic", that first round always went off. Mine would either stovepipe or fail to strip one off the magazine. It seemed to me all the ones in short action rounds operated better. My main issue with an semi is how loud it is to load them. I suppose I never spooked any nearby game off, "but how would I know", right? ha

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 05/07/19.