I was looking on line at all the new rifles, And cartridges,
So i went a local store, and checked out the The sauer, the Tika the Bergaras the remingtons and winchesters and , i just could not get excited about anything i saw.
This morning, i went to meet a guy at a Hawk shop to sell him my 45/70 Marlin.( Shoulder will not take it anymore,) Hawk shops are strange places, this one had some cool stuff, But there are always items that are over priced, but you can find good deals too. 1st thing i saw was a crazy hi priced Remington 788 .308 for 795.00 , I almost quit looking, But i saw a Tag said JC higgins model 50 30,06. I had the guy hand me the rifle, and it looked like it was a new rifle. like it had never been in the woods. a novice would never know how old it was except for the old Pink pad , being hard as the wood.
Flipped the Tag over it said 435.00 I started thinking about the new rifles i had looked at at the various stores i had been in, And i started trying to think of a reason not to buy it. It had some odd scope bases, i had never seen. rails on the sides like for a weaver, but no cross slot. Got to thinking they might cause a problem, But hell they are held on with screws , and the holes likely match the leupold , if not i might have to pay for a couple new holes to be drilled and tapped.
So i bought it, I got delayed on the background check and could not bring it home. But i like it way better than any of the modern, stuff, and while the 6.5 PRC, is an interesting new Round the 30,06 is till as good as it ever was, And i think i got a very good price on a classic quality FN built rifle. Much lighter than my pre 64 30,06. It still had both the front and rear sights. I will try it out as soon as i can,if it shoots like the Beat up ugly one i once had , i will put a timney trigger and a good scope on it And Have a great old game slayer !
Its been a long time since i had one of these , if i remember correctly the trigger is not adjustable, so i will probably need to drop a timney in it. I would love your opinions on these
rifles... tj3006