I grew up with a guy who's dad gave him a brand new Mod 50, also in 30-06, with a 3x9 Leupold scope, 1966 or so. Oooooh, I was so envious! His dad had a friend load him up some 150gr ( we never knew what make, but they looked like Sierras to me) don't know how fast they were, but that rifle and my friend were "pure deer poison"! ha. In addition to killing deer around home,he and his family went every year ( we lived in East Texas, 55 miles NE of Houston) out to Bandera, Texas. They had a relative who managed a big ranch there. He would kill anywhere from 6-8 deer every trip! I don't know if he used family tags or they were culls/poached, ha. They brought deer home on a trailer. I got to hear all the stories, of course. When I went to the Army, 1971, he went to college out near Brenham. He would write and tell me about the deer he killed there. He really got into bowhunting in the late 80's, but he still has the old FN!

About 3 years ago, I found one out here (Utah) but in .270, shot it awhile at the range, but never hunted with it. I "wanted" a 30-06! ha I ended up trading it for some gunsmith work to my buddy out here. Anyhow, they are grand, really grand rifles! I am a sucker for FN Mausers, so I have to watch myself around them, ha. Good luck to you, and start out with 59gr IMR 4350/any 150gr or 52gr/4064 and have a ball!

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 04/06/19.