Originally Posted by shinbone
That's great that yours is a shooter!

I have two JC Higgins Model 50s. One in 270Win and one in 30-06. Triggers are mediocre, at best. Sadly, both are poor shooters. Someone told me it was the chromed lined barrels that compromised the accuracy. Maybe that is the reason no one chrome lines rifle barrels, nowadays.

Again, glad that your's shoots well.

Whoever told you those chrome lined barrels were poor shooters is full of more crap than an overflowing septic tank. Seriously, I've owned five and still have four. Four were in 30-06 and one a .270. I've since rebarreled and restocked the .270 into a 7x57 Mauser, not because the .270 was a lousy shooter but because of the position of the rear sight. Some of the early M50s had the groove for installing the rear sight literally dead center on top of the chamber. My .270 was one of those. The thought of 50 to 60KPSI with a chamber wall that thin didn't quite thrill me, thus the barrel change. As a matter of fact the rifle was quite accurate. Just that thin spot on top of the chamber. As I said, the other four are in 30-06 and the worst shooter still will do 1.00" to 1.25" when I do my part. Whoever had it before me buggered some with the stock and one of these days I'll get around to doing a bedding job on it. I'd bet money that would fix its problem.

It's a bad habit of mine. Whenever I see a J.C. Higgins at a gun show it comes home with me. I've only turned one down once. The chrome lined bore was good but the outside rust was more that I wanted to work with. Just way too many deep pits. The stock was banged up some as well but I think I could have fixed it up.

You might want to check the crown and bedding on your rifles. If you bought them second hand, maybe they were cleaned from the muzzle and some damage there. Hard to tell without seeing the rifles.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE