Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Jack was 46 with the physique of the Pillsbury doughboy when he last won Augusta in 86. Phil is 48, almost 49, and was in contention this year with a -6. Freddy put up a couple good rounds past the age of 50 and Watson damn near won the British at 65. Tiger works out every morning before playing- I've seen it. His physique is unmatched for his age. If his back holds out, I see him having 10-12 years of truly competitive golf ahead of him. As for the mind set, you could see he was in the zone yesterday - haven't seen that look in 10 years from him.

Tiger works out every morning to get his back loosened up to play 18. He was up at 3:30-4:00 AM Sunday to meet a 9:20AM tee time.

Jack was in better shape in 1986 than he was in the first half of the career majors he won. He also still had the game to play at Augusta. Likely the only major he could have won at that time.......his words. In the next 12 years he had single-digit finishes twice. At the Masters. He shot an incredible 65 in the last round of the '86 Masters. And was gifted by Greg Norman, coming down 18 tied for the lead, and air mailing his approach from the middle of the fairway.......into the gallery. Tiger was similarly gifted by four players in contention, in the last two threesomes, dumping short irons into Rae's Creek on the 157 yard par 3 #12. They all suffered doubles. The penalty for being long on that pin position is severe. Well...............perhaps not as severe as being short and finding the drink, but Tiger didn't even attempt that shot at the pin. He bisected the traps intentionally. Course management.

All credit to Tiger for this comeback from a lengthy absence and this majors win. But I think there's something Tiger fans are dismissing. To win another 3-4 majors............he'll have to play better. Because his competition will. And there's a lot more great players now than he ever faced before.