Originally Posted by CGPAUL
Interesting you posted this, as I`m thinking of the same problem, with the same bullets you mentioned. I`m leaning to the 175 Sierra Pro-Hunters...I`ve used them a lot on deer here, and took that bullet and cartridge to Africa my first trip. At 2800fps using 4320 the load is very accurate, and killed everything I pointed the gun at. I also killed my last Elk with my 8mm06 AI using that bullet. Broke offside shoulder and lodged aginst the hide.
I`ve not used Weldcore, but my second choice would be either a 200 Accubond or Partition.
Agree on the 170 SST, just don`t know on Elk, but have killed water jugs to 600. Very accurate.
Do you have the 700 Classic? or something else?

Yes, I have a 700 classic. I also have a K98k and an M48 Yugo with a Douglas barrel. I usually hunt with the Yugo. I'm not sure why, but the 700 classic is bad luck. Whenever it is in my hands I don't see any game. Kinda weird really. On the other hand, whenever I have the Yugo with me I see lots of stuff I want to shoot. I've never hunted with the K98 and probably won't. It will be made into something else at some point. Right now it is in full battle dress and kinda heavy with those awful leaf sights. My eyes don't work well enough anymore for those.

Yep I've killed steel plates out to 500 with the SSTs, but I had a really nasty failure with some SSTs out of my 7-08 on whitetail a few years ago and they just aren't my favorite bullets. Too much meat damage.

I feel better about the Pro Hunters after reading your testimonial.

Why is abbreviate such a long word