[Linked Image]PA110001 by .com/photos/156296479N08/]Steve Zihn, on [bleep]

I agree.
In my opinion SSTs are deer bullets and not even always the best bullet for bigger deer. Depends of the caliber and bullet weight of course, but I have tried them in 270 Winchester, 8X57 and 338, and so far I am not overly impressed with their penetrating qualities.

For accuracy they are superb, and I'll give them their due in that department. My 270, my 8X57 and my 308 all shoot SSTs into ragged hole groups at 107 yards. In the case of my 8X57 it's been the most accurate bullet I have ever used.

The 2 fired bullets in the picture above were fired from my 8X57 and recovered from a bull elk. One stayed together and it's weight in the picture is 129 grains. The other is an empty jacket and it weighs 39 grains.
I have 2 others from the same rifle fried into large mule deer and I only recovered the jackets.

I used the 140 grain from the 270 and it failed to exit a large mule deer doe. Instant death, but I get that from bullets that exit too.

My friend Bob used the 225 grain from his 338 mag and killed a rag-horn bull elk, and again we recovered only the jacket. That elk was tracked down after the hit and it ran about 150 yards through the trees before falling. It was a bit challenging to track him because there was very little blood.

I always want exits if I can get them with my elk rifles.