Originally Posted by WAM
I think you should use whatever rifle you shoot well. Just accept the limitations of the 8x57 if that’s what you choose. I would not fret about core separation with that cartridge at the modest velocity it produces. Any expanding bullet placed well will kill an elk.

I agree with this. I just really want to kill one with my 8x57. I know it is not ideal given the possibility of 400 yard shots, but I shoot it better than any of my other rifles. If I had to drop down to a two rifle battery to hunt anything in the world, it would be my 8x57 and my 375 H&H. Those two rifles get more use than anything else in the safe. However, options are nice and only having two rifles would be boring.

After talking to a few people via PM, I think that I am going to eliminate the heavy bullets. so no 195,196 or 200 grain .323 bullets. That leaves 170 Hot Cor, the 175 Sierra Pro Hunter, and the 180 Nosler Ballistic Tip. I am leaning heavily toward the Nosler Ballistic tip mainly because Mule Deer recommended it. Does anyone have any experience with the 8mm Ballistic tip on elk?

Last edited by HadsDad; 05/24/19. Reason: spelling

Why is abbreviate such a long word