I think you should use whatever rifle you shoot well. Just accept the limitations of the 8x57 if that’s what you choose. I would not fret about core separation with that cartridge at the modest velocity it produces. Any expanding bullet placed well will kill an elk. Personally, I use the biggest .30 that I shoot comfortably that being a .300 Weatherby. When I hunted mixed timber I killed elk and deer quite adequately with my .308 Win. Hunting more open mountains, the .308 and such run out of gas way before the .300 Roy does. Most elk I have taken were inside 250 yards, however. But I would be prepared for the 400 yard opportunity also. That’s why I shoot 300 and 400 yard gongs after verifying zero before the hunt. There are a few spots where we hunt that are over a mile in with pretty rugged terrain for an old man and offer shooting opportunities generally less than 200 yards. That’s when I carry my lightweight .30-06 which is almost 3 pounds lighter than the .300 Wby. Good luck on your quest,

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.