Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Besides not loading petal to the metal, neck sizing each time - with minimal shoulder set back (bumping) only when needed - seem to be the two factors that have given me the longest case life. Some .243 AI cases that had been fired 25 times were finally retired when their primer pockets finally got too loose. Several lots of brass for .223, .270, .308 and .30-06 are on anywhere from their 15th to 19th loading with no signs of slowing down.

And that's apparently not even pushing the limit. I've read of some reloaders who have gotten 30, 40 or more loads on their cases although I forget the details on which caliber and their load levels.

When I first started reloading and didn't know how to set a FL die properly, and FL sized every time, cases would start showing obvious signs of incipient head separation on the 4th or 5th loading.

Good suggestion. Just because it says full length sizing die on the box, that doesn't mean you cant adjust it to do a partial full length sizing. I also adjust my FL dies for just a minimal (.002-.003") shoulder bump back. Cases last a lot longer that way and your accuracy tends to be better. Win win... It sounds like the OP is doing right, with his annealing and checks for incipient case head separation. As we know, every rifle and chamber is different. The amount of firings can be different, depending on how sloppy or tight the chamber is....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA