Originally Posted by sawbones66
Seems some of the 375 crowd is recommending the 270 TSX (or TTSX) for buffalo over the 300 grain. Does anyone have knowledge or experience (well-founded opinions might be OK also) on the success of 300 TSX vs the 350 TSX on buffalo/DG. Sectional density is something we don't talk much about anymore with monolithic bullets and the shorter 300 (1.2+ inches, s.d. .242) compared to the 350 (1.4+ inches; s.d. .289) are significantly different. By reference the 270 gr TSX is 1.3+ inches and s.d. of .272. I suspect any of the TSX would be fine for large bear, but what about thick-skinned? I am not looking for effective in best case scenario, but good in the chamber for less than ideal as well which means a charge to me.

Sectional Density was an argument back in the black and white days, but when talking modern bullet structure, is less relevant today. An example would be comparing a Hornady 400gn SP to a 300gn Barnes X in .416 and it is good night, fat lady has sung and she's already home with a pot of tea brewing. No contest. SD is sometimes an irrelevant wast of thought.

I used a number of 416 rifles over a dozen years and tried several Barnes X bullets including the 300gn, 325 grain, 350gn and 400gn. Although I mainly used them for culling medium game I often lined them up for multiple kills to see how game bullets would perform and the X's in any weight out penetrated some bullets people drool over such as the original Trophy Bonded Bear Claw.

If I was starting from scratch, I would recommend the 350gn but never refute the now discontinued 325gn or the 300gn if a rifle was already set up for them. The way I would load with 300's is to put a heavier weight lower down in the magazine but would be surprised if you needed it apart from a traditional insurance shot when it is already down and bellowing.

In .458 caliber my love was always the 400 grain X bullet which I could win a lot of money on at $100 a shot from my .460 at the range if I had any takers. The accuracy challenged the best of them. I got 5 feet of penetration with that bullet at .460 velocities and it sends a message about the same bullet range as the caliber decreases. No-one challenges anyone who uses a 168gn TTSX in their '06 or .300 because it is reliable and predictable. The same applies as you increase the caliber. The light to middle weight 225's impress everyone in .338 and .358, 250 or 270 in .375 caliber and to the .416 caliber.

Because buffalo hunting incorporates back up and very enthusiastic backup on occasion, use what you like and it will dig deep and cause several feet of penetration in the recipient. The 300gn would also assist in recovery for a backup shot if it is still standing.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.