I have a Beta Chrony, but my "check load" is one particular box of .22 magnum ammo from my old Marlin bolt rifle that has consistently given 1930fps for 2 other chronographs (one was a friends PACT) too. Its as close as I can get w/o springing for a high-dollar Dopplar Radar, or whatever, ha. The main thing is, even if it is 100fps slower, from the testimonies, seems a lot of loads (160/7mms) are in the high 2700-2800s range. that seems to be way plenty for the game they're used on. I figure if I have a case full ( or close :)) of a good, known powder and great accuracy, I can't do anymore on "my" end, except aim it right, ha. You do bring out a good point though that wild claims can usually be narrowed down to be "less than". Take my old 7mm Mag load that I "thought" was going 3100fps, but was 2950. It was so disappointing...to my "idea" of what it should be. It was nothing, as it killed a nice bull for my friend, with gusto, he said. Of course, all he owned at the time was a 243 and he had reservations of using it on elk. Well, if all I had was a 243, I would limit myself to head/neck shots, which mean I probably wouldn't get my elk that year! But I bet a lot of yesteryears gunwriter reports were "typrewriter" speeds. smile If I was a Long Range shooter/hunter, I'd be more vested in exact muzzle speeds, but for my style, it isn't that important to me, but accuracy/consistency/ and temp stability ( I like Late Season cow hunts...cold) smile

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 06/21/19.