Haven't hunted with a Suby for a number of years now, but when I owned them it was all I had. Like buffybr they were older ones. My last was an '84 with the 2 speed "transfer case". Went a lot of places in that thing. Never lucky enough to have scored an elk when I owned it, but since I could get 1/3 of a cord of wood in the back (Measured space with seat down) I figured if I had there'd have been plenty of room, especially quartered or boned out. A bulls rack? Well, there was a roof rack for that.

Hunted the Big Boquillas ranch in N AZ a few times. Place on there , ranch house with corrals/cattle pens. One called the "bull pen". Road on the low side of was not a car friendly road. Came down it in the Sub wagon one trip, had to move a boulder or two to the side of the road, nothing major. Coupla guys meet me on their way up, near the bottom. Asked if I came down past the bull pen (as if there was another way??) , in THAT car? I said yep, no problema.

Someone mentioned the ground clearance on them. Bought my first Sub wagon in '77. Advertised as the same ground clearance as stock CJ-5 at the time. Not sure about the newer Forester models, but my brother owns one (2015?) and he runs around FS and ranch roads in N AZ taking pictures all the time.

Maybe try to plan for the earlier season hunts? When roads are likely to be drier. And avoid the Kaibab in the wet.

Oh, get a good mud/snow tire installed too.

Good luck and enjoy your hunting.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?