I've used everything from Subys to various 1/2 and 3/4 ton 4x4 American trucks to my current ride, a high clearance 4x4 Tacoma with locking diffs, extended brake lines, reversed shackles, etc. The Suby did 99% of what I needed it to do. And outside a 4 wheel park, I've never needed the current off road abilities I currently have--when the going gets real bad I start worrying I'm going to lose a sidewall, even if my clearance and suspension will handle it. Sharp chit usually goes hand in hand with very rough terrain. In muddy loose chit, or snowy muddy loose chit, the Suby with decent all terrain tires beat the non-locking diff 3/4 ton American truck very easily, except that it's back end dragged when it was loaded down with full coolers.

The issue really is ground clearance and how well your dirt roads are maintained. If you've got a rock crawl, the Suby is not the choice, but probably this is not most areas of the country.

I will likely go back to a 1/2 ton full sized truck for my next vehicle but there are other issues driving that choice.

Last edited by TX35W; 07/27/19.