Oh Lord...those "See Through Mounts". I "watched" some of our group try them when they finally began to even mount scopes! Around the campfire, 4-5 deep in a 6-pack, tales of how "perfect" the set up was. I never once, not once, knew of anyone who ever used the advantage!. They usually just shot at and missed ( contrary to Folk Lore and themselves telling you-Texans are NOT all born Great Shots, ha!) Seems they could never keep the scope sighted in ( that meant a hit anywhere on a paper plate at 50-75 yds btw) Now, these were men 30-40 years older than me, and I was raised to respect my elders. I "tried" to help them, but they "knew it all", especially around the other old phartz. I just made sure I hunted on a different part of the lease from them. There was one old guy, a good friend/neighboring camp of my dad's camp, who used a Mod 742 6mm Remington. Iron sights only, and it never jammed that I saw or heard of. He "might" spray it with WD-40 and wipe it out of the action and drop the trigger groups, wipe it down. Never the bore. When it was "shot out" he sold it to a mutual friend who took it to a good gunsmith in Houston. He cleaned it well, got all the old fouling out of the bore and it returned to shooting 1 1/2" groups ( Remington 100gr factory corlokts) I knew this because I had shot it some myself "before" the old gent had "shot out the barrel/he was very proud of that fact! ha) I have two BILs who have used them for decades, one in .308 and another in 6mm Remington. "Maybe" there are more reliable 742s with the shorter chambered rounds. I only know that I never heard of one of "them" being a jammomatic, like the one I got from my uncle in 30-06. I knew just a bunch of 30-06 Mod 742 users who had complaints. Now, later inlife, I bought a Model Four ( a fancy Mod 7400) in .270Win and it was both a shooter (130gr) and reliable. My uncles wife ( he had been widowed at 42, remarried a few years later) Anyhow, I had left it down in Texas at my dads ( so I would always have a rifle down there when I travelled) she saw it and liked it, so sold it to her for a song. I guess its still going with her son now. I had a Mod 750 35 Whelen that was also reliable, as mentioned. So, yes, they are a gamble, but still a nice handling rifle, to me. I really only "trust" one type of semi-auto, a good Garand and an M1A. Have hunted with both and never had an issue. But neither handled like the 'svelte" Mod 742/7400/7600! ha

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 07/06/19.