I just came into possession of my first 742 a couple of days ago.

I like older guns and I normally research the heck out of whatever I'm interested in at the time. This 742 was an exception. I had been looking online for Model 8 or 81. The day I put in a bid on this 742 I was literally minutes away from leaving for the hospital for surgery. I was browsing through the "semi-auto" section on GunBroker, looking for an 8/81. I spotted this 742 and it looked gorgeous... so I put in a bid. I knew nothing about 742s or Remington semi-autos.

After surgery I found out I won the auction. I then started to do the research I normally would have done prior to bidding. I was horrified to find out that there is such a wide range of experiences, and to learn of the issue with the rails. I then spent a lot of days wondering if I'd bought a very long paperweight.

Alas, it appears I've dodged a bullet. Not only is it every bit as gorgeous cosmetically as it appeared in the photos, but I can't see any damage to the rails at all - nothing. I've seen photos of what it should look like if damaged. There is simply nothing there. Mine happens to be a 1962 issue gun, in .280. I have to believe this thing has seen a whole lot of safe time and almost no time at the range or in the field.

I have not yet shot it. I plan to put together some loads in the coming days, get a scope on it, and give it a whirl. Knowing there is no damage, I'll limit how much it's shot and take steps to keep it clean, as well as other measures I've read about based on the experiences of others. Ultimately time at the range will let me know what I have, but I have high hopes that maybe I have a good one.