Originally Posted by Poconojack

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Poconojack

A M70 just does not look right without a sight hood.

There are repro sight hoods currently being marketed that are very difficult to distinguish from originals. The bluing seems a little off.

I absolutely agree. There are also the ones that are squared off on the back, not angled on both ends. Trust me, I'll pay $40.00 for an original in good condition, when I need to. I won't use a knockoff...

No, these repros are angled on both ends and very difficult to distinguish from the originals. I’d be very suspect of any sight hood that has no wear.

I have seen some like you mention, but 9 times out of 10, the repros are only angled on one side. They have to do that so they are not infringing on the original patent. I'll post a link from ebay, so you can see what I'm talking about. Those are the ones you need to be aware of and stay away from, IF you are a collector and like keeping things all original. Now, I wouldn't put it past someone that knows how to grind that angle on the other side to try and pass it off as an "original". Like you said, pay close attention to the finish. It is more of a matte finish and not exactly like the originals.

"NEW" PRE 64 MODEL 70 FRONT SIGHT HOOD (UNORIGINAL)

Now, to some of the other guys that aren't into keeping things 100% original these front sight hoods are pretty good. They work and they are half the price of an original.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA