A few years back I was trying to get into archery hunting for whitetail deer when I moved to Indiana. Back then I had a torn labrum in my right shoulder, I am left handed. It has given me problems over the years and had to do physical therapy twice so far to try to strengthen my rotator cuff to compensate.

I event bought a hoyt compound bow, forget model, but believe it was the lower poundage pull: 50-60lb. At 5'6" I have a short draw length which I also forget. But even at the 50lb draw weight I would fatigue my shoulder and I never pursed archery further.

Update to recent times and I've once again really tweak my rotator cuff in my right shoulder. This time it's not healing up as quickly as in the past. Before it would heal up in three or four day, then about a week. This time, it will be going on two weeks heal/rest.

I will probably need to see doctor again as I think I may need shoulder surgery to fix torn labrum and possibly rotator cuff. So my question for you experience archery shooters: are my archery days over before I even began?? Would I be able to do archery with a bad shoulder? Are there lighter poundage bow options with short(er) draw lengths that I can gradually build my shoulder up to? Say 30lbs to 50lb max draw weight? Any help you could provide would be appreciated.

Leo