i came back to this thread after running an errand yesterday. I had to pick up a 35lb package at a U .P.S. store. Probably 110 degrees at the time. I hobbled in, got the package, and was trying to support it while walking out with a cane. I did not ask for help. Then getting it from the car in the house. That's probably why i got a couple hours sleep last night, with my back spasiming. I have been a big game hunter most of my life but last year's elk season probably my last. I spent the whole time in the cab of the truck, walking in the woods, and processing an elk if i had shot one just isn't gonna happen anymore. I have hunted in past years with some older guys, we all have quads, they were not available this year or my quad. And i see people complaining about old guys using a quad too.
I did feel really foolish using those electric scooters at some of the stores, but not any more, at least i can get around the store in them.
In my area, most of the handicap parking is usually taken in front of the stores, you have to drive around to get a free spot.
as to 4x4 vehicles with the plates, i had a friend a few years ago, he did not have use of his legs, drove around in a jeep with plates. He had caught a machine gun burst across his lower back in vietnam, no more use of legs. When you saw him sitting in the jeep, it appeared like nothing wrong. But he sure as heck was entitled to any benefit he could get.
I would personally be ashamed to admit i was taking those spaces when it was not needed, just as i would be ashamed at poking at people where you don't know their issues. We had one for my mother in her late 80's and 90's before i needed one too.
There are some real knotheads on this forum, they will be lucky as they age and hopefully don't need these types of things.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO